Dekalb Officer Daniel Lacoste In Induced Coma After Car Strike
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A police officer injured after a car hit him Sunday morning has been placed in a medically-induced coma.
Daniel Lacoste was in critical condition after being hit while investigating a car wreck on Interstate 20. Lacoste is a veteran officer with DeKalb County police.
Renee Pitzer said her brother puts his life on the line every time he goes to work, but always thought if he were seriously hurt it would be from a gun, not a car.
“I didn’t expect it to be somebody hit him on the side of the road, I don’t know how they couldn’t see the lights,” Pitzer said.
DeKalb police said that’s exactly what happened. They will only confirm one of their own responded to a wreck overnight on I-20 east, just before the Evans Mill Road exit.
Bryant Hill said a driver sideswiped his tractor-trailer. When Lacoste got out of his car to talk with him, the officer was hit by a passing motorist.
“I think people need to be more aware to what’s going on around them, pay more attention the road and everything like that. The accident was a simple accident but it turned big when people wasn’t paying attention,” Hill said.
Witnesses said the officer was wearing a reflective vest, so his family can’t understand why it happened.
Lacoste has been placed on a respirator, in a medically induced coma.
“Cars and bones really don’t do well together and so that’s really the disappointing part that someone would drive through an accident scene callously. Give them a lane. Give them a lane, protect them, they protect us,” Lacoste’s brother, Jason Lacoste, said.
Family members said Lacoste’s leg has been broken in two places, but it’s the skull fracture and swelling near his brain stem that have them most concerned.
“We’re praying for him and we’d like for the city of Atlanta to join us in that,” Jason Lacoste said.
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- College Board gives a sneak peak at redesigned SAT
- Family of Dawsonville child makes plea for kidney match
- Police: Locker-room thief spent $4,000 on stolen credit cards
- Move over selfies... it's time for the dronie: New trend for capturing you and your pals in wide angle aerial shots from a remote controlled camera
- 'Hostage scammers' steal hundreds from Atlanta residents
- Duchess of Cambridge keeps her cool in white dress by Australian designer for visit to Sydney's Royal Easter Show with William
- Witness: Goose on the loose with arrow through head
- Mayor Reed speaks out against Water Management raises
- Video shows dog barking at a video of itself barking at video of itself barking
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Barbara Gauthier visits Westview Elementary School for Career Day!
- Did this legal marijuana-laced candy make man hallucinate and shoot his wife?
- Three million credit card numbers stolen from Michaels Stores after security breach
- Phenix City students participate in 8th annual Crosswalk
- New video shows the moment Texas fertilizer plant burst into flames, killing 15 and and injuring more than 200
- Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus holds "Maestro for a Moment" fundraiser
- Transcript shows ferry captain delayed evacuation
- Cook out draws law officers, candidates to Glennville
- Administrators keep their jobs after arrests
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- Ga. governor strikes cautious note on solar energy
- Some South Carolina schools see drop in annual assessment
- Voter registration deadline is April 21
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Suspects connected to Steve Toms murder indicted on additional charges
- Columbus tutoring group prepares students for CRCT
- Judge John McBain lashes out at convicted killer Camia Gamet after she snickers and asks 'is that it?' as victim's aunt recounts murder
- Dammion Heard's parents dispute findings that their star wrestler son, 20, killed himself as it's revealed the college student got into a fight the night he went missing
- Ezell’s Catfish of Phenix City hosting Easter at Ezell’s Appreciation Week
- Police arrest Woodstock man Anthony Couse for making car bomb sign
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Heavy rain leaves one Aiken County yard inundated by water
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Twitter buzz doesnt make us watch tv shows
- Peaches Geldof's funeral to take place at same church as her mother's on Easter Monday - and her ashes may be scattered at family home where she grew up
- Columbus tutoring group prepares students for CRCT
- 6 indicted on charges in connection to 2011 murder of Steve Toms
- Obama warns Russia may still face sanctions over Ukraine as he cautiously welcomes deal to resolve crisis
- School board addresses cursive writing concerns
- Facebook launches new service which will share your exact location with all your friends but insists its optional
- Highway shooter who targeted at least 12 random motorists during month-long crime spree in Kansas City finally in custody
- Hawkinsville Man Birago Blackshear Accused of Killing Ex-Girlfriend Ashton Bartlett
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|